Saturday, May 22, 2010

So I go out to buy this wood, it is all select pine, there is a 1x10x4', 2 1x3x6', and 2 1x4x3'.
First step I glued up the 1x3's and when the glue cured I scraped away the glue. Next I jointed the sides of the boards to get them flush (there was some movement when I clamped the glue-up.

I then cut the 1x3's and 1x10's in half.

Next I lay out the mortices in the feet and legs of the loom (1x10, 2x3)

I clean out most of the mortices with a forstner bit then clean out the rest with a chisel and fine tune the fit with a file.

ok so I forgot about taking pictures for a few steps but ultimately I made these locking tenons on the stretcher (piece between the feet) and the brace (piece between the legs). I made all these cuts at the band saw. The brace is held in place with our good friend gravity. The stretcher is locked in place by the legs as you will see later.

I started using my vice to shave the legs with my draw knife but decided it would be much faster and more controlled on the shaving horse.I finished up the rounding with some sandpaper. I really meant to use card scrapers here but I found out that my scrapers need sharpening and I was on a bit of a deadline to get the loom done.

Last thing I did was to ease all the sharp corners with the router and a round over bit. Here are all the peices finished.

The brace slides into the mortice and slides down to lock the legs in place. The stretcher inserts into the feet up to the shoulders.

The legs then slide onto the bottom assembly and locks everything in place.

VOILA! an Oseberg Loom for my Lady.

Here is the loom in use. this is going to be the start of a sheet of fabric. My Lady spun,dyed and wove the trim running from leg to leg and is inserting threads that will hang down from a larger loom to be woven into fabric.

There you have it. Hopefully I will get a little better at documenting my builds as time goes on. I also know I promised this post sooner but I just could not find the time to sit down and post everything.

Until next time.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Win a Milescraft #1223 Router Kit Guide

The Concord Carpenter is offering up a prize, or rather Milescraft is via Concord Carpenter. check it out here:

here is one of the parts to the kit, Router not included. 

So go to his site and enter to win., BTW I will be posting later today about the Oseberg loom I made recently.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In honour of Safety week...

I went out and bought some push blocks/sticks. this is a big leap for me as I usually would just grab whatever items were at hand to do the tasks I needed while keeping my fingers. In the past I have had some close calls using some of these improvisions. I have had push sticks explode(only so many saw kerfs will support a workpiece), had slim sticks fall through the inserts in the saw etc.

So here's to Safety Week, Cheers!

Monday, May 10, 2010

well this isn't quite going as planned...

So I have done next to nothing in my shop over the past couple weeks. My busy schedule and weird hours have kept me from woodworking. This week seems will be no different. so in the meantime I thought I would post some pics of some older stuff I have done.

Here are some mugs I made for a friend. She requsted them for a co-worker who had some "special" mugs broken in a move. From what I understand The lady always sat down on a particular day with her 2 kids and had some iced tea. After these mugs were delivered, I was told the lady in question burst into tears at the sentiment and marveled at the work and hand carving that went around the mugs. The mugs were made from maple and cherry. There was a square cherry core, wrapped in maple then wrapped in cherry again. These blanks were cut into octagonal blocks and then turned on my old cheapie mastercraft lathe. I then carved the names "lisa","cole",and "bernie" as well as some knotwork into the mug with a chip carving knife. So if I can't do more woodworking I will plan on posting something I have done or something about woodworking.